Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ben Norman 167 posts 276 karma points
    Nov 11, 2012 @ 10:12
    Ben Norman

Using the UmbracoCms.WebPI.{version number}.zip file

I'm trying to work out how to use the UmbracoCms.WebPI.{version number}.zip

Can anybody tell me how to install umbraco with it?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Nov 11, 2012 @ 13:42
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ben

The reason why there is a WebPi version available is because Microsoft usually takes a few days to update their feed to the latest release.

Therefore this special version is made so that when you choose to install Umbraco you can change the source from the default feed to use a local version from your disk. So if you enjoy installing Umbraco using the WepPi you can download this version and change the feed source to point to your local version in the options settings left to the "Install button".

Hope this makes sense.

/Jan

• Jim Prior 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 11, 2012 @ 23:15
    Jim Prior

I also am stuck on how to get the latest release 4.10 installed in WebMatrix by using the direct ZIP download from codeplex. I don't understand where to change the feed source. I'm using Web Matrix 2.0 and I cannot see which options you mean.

• Jim Prior 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 12, 2012 @ 00:25
    Jim Prior

I was wrong in that I should be using Web Platform Installer (not Webmatrix), and I can see Options beside the Install button but it only seems to allow an XML file to be selected. Eventually after crashing my Web Platform Installer and having to run it from command line with /reset option to remove my bad feed (xml file), I found an article about adding

http://umbraco.com/data/rss/UmbracoWebPIFeed.xml

to Custom Feeds in Web Platform Installer. Now it has found them but the feed does not have 4.10 on it yet! Grrr.

Two things for Umbraco to do here:-

1. Include a simple readme.txt file in the UmbracoCms.WebPI.{version number}.zip file, to explain how to use it once you've downloaded it locally, because I cannot fathom it out.

2. Update the feed at the above URL to the latest release number.

Web Platform Installer makes it a no brainer to setup the SQL database, then install Umbraco in Web Matrix.

But the Umbraco documentation really does not help newcomers to Umbraco who are trying to do something slightly out of the ordinary, i.e. use WebPI to install the latest version wehn it is not available on Microsoft yet.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft